In the early hours of the morning, it is not always easy to motivate yourself to get up and going. Working late into the night definitely often hinders my early morning desire to move. The thing is though, making that effort to get moving, to run, skip, throw a ball around, stretch etc etc can set you up for a pretty great day. I ran every morning around the block recently (okay, almost every morning) and it made my day far more productive and accomplished.
With the summer months descending, I certainly don’t intend to spend hours outside in the hot sun working out too often. Morning and evening when the sun is less harsh and the air is cooler- that is a different story. Planning and prioritising your time allows you to get a whole lot more done in your day, so 15-30 minutes of active time can be a world of difference.
Steps to get yourself morning workout motivated:
- Keep a set of activewear next to your bed. Set the intention the night before as you drift off to sleep and wake up with this in mind. If it doesn’t work- test your willpower another way- think ‘if I don’t get up and get a short workout in, I am not allowed to have coffee today’. Got a few of you there!
- Drink a bit of water pre-workout but don’t over do it. Later prior to eating breakfast switch to warm water with lemon to alkalinise your stomach.
- Grab your iPod and workout with a little motivation music, for me this playlist can involve anything from my girl Gwen Stefani to Baby Animals or Def Leppard. Yeah, I am a little old school.
- Commit to just a short workout- skip for a bit- (I count about 150 skips till I move on), do some lunges, squats, jumping jacks, planking, run or jog for a block.
- Back yourself. Set an intention, keep this in your mind and push yourself just that little bit more- you may be surprised.
If all else fails? Phone a friend. Working out with a friend can be the best motivator. I work that much harder if I have that little bit of healthy competition with a friend around.