Why host a garage sale and my 5 tips for decluttering and hosting!
WHAT IS THE GARAGE SALE TRAIL?
As the big sale date looms next weekend, I thought I’d share more info on our 2020 fashion blogger Garage Sale Trail sale. Ours is on the 22nd of November here in Perth. For those who’ve missed my updates so far, the Garage Sale Trail happens each year across Australia. It’s a weekend where you can register (for free) your sale details online allowing people to map their route (or trail) and get the most exposure to garage sale shoppers as you can.
Shoppers can search by area or items of interest. Last year over 400,000 Australians got involved at 18,000 garage sales countrywide. Together we diverted over 3.2 million kgs of stuff from landfill proving that when we all work together big things happen!!
BONUSES OF HOSTING A GARAGE SALE
So, you have decided to overhaul your wardrobe and host a garage sale. Good call! It’s a bit of effort and work but in my opinion, totally worth it. First of all, you are going to free up valuable space in your home/ storage. You are also doing your bit to pay it forward. It’s a great opportunity to meet others in your community and they can get their hands on beautiful pieces you haven’t been wearing.
The stats on how much clothing is made vs how many people are actually on this planet are INSANE. So too are the stats on how much of our wardrobes we actually wear. For my rundown of tips on shopping second-hand, see this post.
THE GREAT DECLUTTERERS
Not sure where to start? There are plenty of great decluttering resources around, from The Minimalists podcast to Marie Kondo’s method. Marie approaches decluttering from a point of joy. It’s not exactly minimalist but it ensures you know what you have and only keep what you love. Life is too short to hold onto something you find so-so. The Minimalists are definitely a great resource for cutting down to the bare minimum. As you will learn if you try to live with less, it’s obvious how much we don’t need.
Want to give a capsule wardrobe a try? Read my capsule wardrobe series to learn more here.
5 TIPS ON WHAT TO DECLUTTER
- Anything you don’t actually wear, or is the wrong size can go. Don’t hoard hoping they will come back in style.
- Double-Ups can go.
- Cheap quality fabrics can go.
- Gifts you didn’t like can go! It’s a bit mean, but the thought was the thing that counted, so let it go.
- Finally, part with something you still like (but don’t often wear). Then afterward, by comparison, I find myself thinking “If I can let that piece go, I can definitely let this item go! I like it a lot less!”
5 TIPS ON HOSTING A GARAGE SALE
- Pre-price everything. Having all of the items priced meant I could spend time at the sale helping people with sizing or styling questions rather than making people wait while I thought up a price. It also meant I could get someone else to help me with putting through the sale transactions.
- Keep prices low but reasonable. Most items I sold were between $5 and $30. When it had gotten a bit slower, I went back over the things left and reduced prices. It helps to put the original retail value on too, so people know what they are saving.
- Ask for help! If you can, get someone to help you set up your stall, help process the sales. My partner and his friend both helped me out on the day, keeping each other company making it more fun.
- Borrow what you can- rather than go out and buy things like clothing racks. Borrow a bigger car to transport everything if need be.
- Advertise! Jump on social media and get the word out! Ask people to share your sale info.
OUR FASHION BLOGGER 2020 GARAGE SALE
Mark the date in your calendar, Sunday 22nd of November (next Sunday) from 9 am- 12 pm. More details here.
We have some of the best wardrobes in Perth partaking in our fashion garage sale! It’s going to be amazing. There are twelve stall-holders who are all fashion bloggers and influencers you will know and love via Instagram. I’m so excited! The girls hosting sales are below, you can check out their style on Instagram.
We all have a lot of incredible local and international designer pieces as well as your staple brands like Country Road etc. Plus there are shoes! I have so many unworn shoes to sell!! Most items are things that have been worn once for a photoshoot so a lot will be as new. It’s a great way to snap up a curated edit of incredible fashion pieces before summer and for the festive season too.
All of us can’t wait to see you there on the 22nd. If you are in Perth, definitely don’t miss out! It’s not something we have the chance to do very often and I know each and every one of the stall holders have told me they have a lot of amazing pieces to sell at really good prices.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SALE!
If you have decided to host a garage sale, I wish you the best of luck! It’s a lot of fun and so great to know your once-loved items are going to people who want to give them a new life. Last time I was part of the Garage Sale Trail I had people tagging me on Instagram wearing the pieces that they bought. It was so damn cool to see that! I also halved my wardrobe last time. Let me know below if you are hosting a sale this year or have been busy decluttering.
< SHOP MY OUTFIT >
Click the images below to shop
(This look was from my Mango haul featuring pieces from their considered collection).
Be sure to follow me on the LIKETOKNOW.IT App to shop my outfits & beauty edits. Check out my LIKETOKNOW.IT page here.
BTW: as you lovely readers know, my links are sometimes affiliate links. What are they? It means if you like something I’ve featured in this post, click through to the site, it tracks that I recommended it. If choose to buy something, I may receive a small commission from the brand. The commission is at no cost to the consumer aka you! In fact, it helps me keep creating content like this to inspire you. So thank you for your support!