Home FASHION WHY HAVING A COLOUR PALETTE MAKES GETTING DRESSED EASY

WHY HAVING A COLOUR PALETTE MAKES GETTING DRESSED EASY

by jenellewitty@gmail.com

How to work out your colour palette and why having one will make getting dressed a whole lot easier.

working out your colour palette is one way to get dressed easier. With Inspiring Wit fashion blogger Jenelle wearing mustard yellow and blue

THE 70/30 RULE

I have a colour palette that I stick to (beyond my normal neutrals), of key highlight colours that reflect my mood, personality and inject a bit of vibrancy to my style. While I’d say that 70% of my wardrobe is made up of neutrals as a base, the remaining 30% of coloured pieces that pack a punch.

My neutral shades are black, white, grey, beige, cream, olive, tan and blue. The blue shades are anything from a light wash denim to an indigo or navy, so rather than class them as a highlight, they form a neutral base.

My highlight colour palette is made up of mustard yellow, red and dusty pink.

On my go-to clothing rack at the moment I see I am having a bit of a love affair with primary colours. There are a lot of red, yellow and blues that I keep reaching for. Find more inspiration here for primary colours that seriously pack a punch.

WHY HAVING YOUR OWN COLOUR PALETTE MAKES GETTING DRESSED EASIER

Having set colours allows me to mix and match within my wardrobe and helps me not to get distracted when shopping. Rather than finding myself drawn to every new colour trend, if it isn’t in my colour palette already, it’s like I have blinders on and don’t waste time (or extra money) with another colour. This palette filters down to my shoes and handbags.

If you have never thought to come up with your own colour palette but often find yourself staring at your closet with no idea of what to wear, have a think about it. Do you also find yourself buying something new for an occasion, rather than shopping from your existing wardrobe? That panic moment can easily be avoided if you have good options on hand. You can create different looks by combining your coloured pieces (colour blocking), or style them tonally. For example, a head to toe red look is always going to make you feel amazing!

HOW TO WORK OUT YOUR SKIN TONE

If you hold a coloured piece of paper or fabric up to your face, does it make you glow or look ill? Obviously, you want to avoid the colours that make you look ill or show up dark circles and so on. The tones that instantly make your face glow and look good are the best to stick too. To determine your colours it is good to work out if you have cool or warm toned skin.

Cool tone skin should wear cold, strong neutrals such as blue, black, grey and when it comes to highlighting colours like red or mustard yellow, look for tones in a cold version.

Warm skin tones should stick to earthy neutrals and yellows with a golden undertone. When it comes to highlighting colours, look for plum shades and pinks with a warm undertone.

Another way to determine your colours is to look at what you gravitate towards the most. Is there a colour (or a few) that make you feel happy? Or more confident? Experiment with those!

OVER TO YOU GUYS

Have you ever thought about adopting a colour palette? Is this something that you do as well? I would love to know if you do and if so what colours you wear! Please share them with me below.

Next question is do I need this mustard yellow coat for winter? Yes or no? I need your help!

WEARING:
COTTON ON SWEATER
COTTON ON DENIM MINI
BODEN SNEAKERS
Follow
FOLLOW VIA BLOGLOVIN’
PHOTOGRAPHED BY: MARIO RECCHIA

You may also like