Get to know me and yourself through answering the Proust Questionnaire.
The Proust Questionnaire has been one of my favourite personality revealing tests and a great way to get to know yourself or each other. Many of you may be new readers to Inspiring Wit, so consider this a getting to know me post.
Getting to know your personality a little more…
The Proust Questionnaire is a series of questions popularised by French writer Marcel Proust that provide insight into personality. In the late nineteenth century, lists and questionnaires were a popular parlour entertainment among the bourgeois.
As a teen, Proust was introduced to the questions by a friend in 1886. The manuscript containing Proust’s answers were sold at auction in 2003 for an incredible €102,000! Now that is crazy!
Vanity Fair publish their adapted Proust Questionnaire in each issue interviewing various personalities like David Bowie, Jane Birkin, Lena Dunham etc. Revealing tastes, aspirations and experiences in the answers, these are a good read.
Getting to know each other…
As a green University student back in the early 2000’s I came across the questions and remember scribbling down my responses.
Today, I thought I would revisit the Proust Questionnaire and offer you guys the opportunity to answer it as well. I have decided to post my abridged answers and the full list of questions at the end for you to complete.
THE PROUST QUESTIONNAIRE (+ MY ANSWERS)
1.__What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Moments of euphoric happiness for me have generally coincided with music, largely rock and roll, though admittedly classical music has always made me feel very moved and happy.
2.__What is your greatest fear?
4.__What is the trait you most deplore in others?
6.__What is your greatest extravagance?
My addiction to expensive shoes and handbags. I say that with the full irony of the desire to fuel this habit.
9.__On what occasion do you lie?
To protect the genuinely naive. AKA people like my Nana.
10.__What do you most dislike about your appearance?
The issues I have are largely reflective of my responsibility to honour my body. If I am lazy and do not fuel it with nourishing foods and regular exercise I lose tone and mobility. That is irresponsible, more than physical.
12.__What is the quality you most like in a man?
13.__What is the quality you most like in a woman?
19.__What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Once upon a time, quietly watching people enjoy something I’d made (without their knowing).
20.__If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
21.__Where would you most like to live?
22.__What is your most treasured possession?
23.__What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Lack of imagination.
25.__What is your most marked characteristic?
26.__What do you most value in your friends?
27.__Who are your favourite writers?
Dickens, (Phillip) Pullman, Hardy, Tolkien, Carroll, Frost, Collins.
33.__What is your greatest regret?
Biting my tongue.
35.__What is your motto?
Anything is possible.
ANSWER THE PROUST QUESTIONNAIRE YOURSELF
- What is your idea of perfect happiness?
- What is your greatest fear?
- What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
- What is the trait you most deplore in others?
- Which living person do you most admire?
- What is your greatest extravagance?
- What is your current state of mind?
- What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
- On what occasion do you lie?
- What do you most dislike about your appearance?
- Which living person do you most despise?
- What is the quality you most like in a man?
- What is the quality you most like in a woman?
- Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
- What or who is the greatest love of your life?
- When and where were you happiest?
- Which talent would you most like to have?
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- What do you consider your greatest achievement?
- If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
- Where would you most like to live?
- What is your most treasured possession?
- What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
- What is your favourite occupation?
- What is your most marked characteristic?
- What do you most value in your friends?
- Who are your favourite writers?
- Who is your hero of fiction?
- Which historical figure do you most identify with?
- Who are your heroes in real life?
- What are your favourite names?
- What is it that you most dislike?
- What is your greatest regret?
- How would you like to die?
- What is your motto?
PHOTOGRAPHED BY: MARESA SMITH