Something I have learned in the past few years is how important it is to build yourself a capsule wardrobe. By this I mean, a wardrobe of clothes with which you can create a multitude of outfits to suit various occasions, moods and seasons. Predominantly constructed of good quality basics, these items are mostly neutral, to which you can add a personal touch of print, colour and cut as you go. These may come across as a little on the simple, or even more ‘boring’ side, but I am thinking of versatility, value for money, quality, comfort, and style.
I made up a few boards which have helped me to shape my capsule wardrobe and found that sticking within these limits helped me to avoid spending money on random items which, when I looked back on months later I had either grown sick of seeing too much on others or just didn’t like. Within the capsule wardrobe, I prioritize pieces that avoid ‘trend’ and retain ‘staple’.
I had so many Audrey Hepburn books growing up, and the classic pieces I saw her wear, have informed my love of elegant style. I think I bear her in mind more often than I realize.
The boards pictured make up my ‘Must Have Shoes For Any Woman‘
I think there are essential shoes which should make up your wardrobe, to carry you through any outfit. I made up a couple of boards with the shoes I own, or as similar to mine as I could find at the time.
I tend to stick within black, white, cream, tan, nude and khaki. If I go with a print, it tends to be an animal print, but in natural colours, or some kind of black and white combination. I have also owned bright shoes in orange, red, blue, silver or gold, but these I consider a part of the add-on, occasional shoe. At the end of the day, any of the items on these boards can be styled with an occasional piece, which adds a little extra something to the look. I also think you can have multiple variations of these shoes, but as a general rule, if you have the list below, you can get through any ‘what shoes do I wear?’ debacle with happy feet.
Building A Capsule Wardrobe: Shoes
Broken down the list looks like this:
– 1x Black leather pointed pump heels, (can be patent, suede or a mix)
– 1 x Nude/tan leather pointed pump heels (the nude will make your legs look longer, which is nice)
– 1x White leather heels, I prefer these to be either a pointed pump or thick strapped heeled sandals
– 1x Hidden wedge sneaker in chalk, or in black (Isabel Marant though, all the way!)
– 1x Black studded, buckled ankle boots (these Chloe ones get worn every week)
– 1x Black heeled ankle boots (cool with dresses, skirts, or skinny jeans)
– 1x Black strappy open-toed heels (nude is also okay)
– 1x Animal print pointed pumps (make sure they are leather but can have a faux pony hair finish)
– 1x Converse sneakers in white, black or khaki (or Keds, Vans, etc)
– 1x Black patent oxfords (they have more arch support than ballet flats, sorry Audrey)
– 1x Black, white, tan, silver or gold thick strapped sandals (I DO NOT ENDORSE THONGS/ FLIP FLOPS)
I will be bringing you more of this sort of post in the coming weeks, so stay tuned, and please share any comments or ask any questions below.