To continue my personal post series, here are twenty facts about me.
1. I think I have a split personality. One minute I am quiet and reserved and the next I am commanding attention. Sometimes I am lazy and at other times I am super organized and focused. At times I love to wear lace dresses, while at others I dress like a boy.
2. Sometimes I wonder if I was born later than I was and that my parents faked my birth certificate. It says 1983.
3. I listen to mostly ‘classic rock’ and love Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, The Doors, Fleetwood Mac, Whitesnake, Prince, Madness, Aerosmith, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Clash, David Bowie, Def Leppard, Gomez, Huey Lewis, No Doubt, Incubus, Pat Benatar, The Police, Queens of the Stoneage, The Ramones, Robert Palmer, Tom Waits, ZZ Top, You Am I etc etc etc.
4. I am super clumsy.
5. As a kid I spent most of my weekends and weeknights figure skating, and it still gives me the biggest rush.
Camilla and Marc Knit, Sass & Bide Jeans, Katherine Dunmill Bag, Witchery Boots
6. On the dance floor (who am I kidding, every surface is a dance floor) my dance moves are pretty ‘interpretive’.
7. No one ever mistook me for being a part of any ‘cool’ group in High School. I didn’t mind.
8. My clothes were VERY bright, patterned and colourful a few years ago as I studied at an arts school so I could experiment. I got over that and have since relaxed into neutrals.
9. As soon as I turned 18 I flew to Germany and traveled around on my own for a few months. As I checked into hostels the staff asked for my Mum, as I looked all of about 15. I spoke barely any German but loved that I went overseas for the first time alone and took things into my own hands. I didn’t do any organized tours, just did my own thing. I think this gave me confidence which I would otherwise not have found, particularly coming from a small town like Adelaide.
10. I have one really tall and lovely brother, James (below is a portrait I took of him a few years ago). He is covered in tattoos, has long dreads and is too cool for his own good. I miss living away from him and enjoy catching up whenever we can. He took photos for me when I first started doing outfit posts for the blog, using my point and shoot. He did a great job and I loved driving around looking for locations blasting The Ramones and stopping to feed horses on the side of the road.
11. My middle name is Alison. This means my surname is a word, Witty, and so are my initials. Jaw.
12. I eat a lot of healthy things which prompt people to ask ‘what the hell is that?’ I should share some recipes. If it’s green it belongs in a smoothie.
13. A long time ago I dreamed about working as an actor, I think I did okay when I tried, but I have a terrible short term memory so I was rubbish at remembering lines.
14. I love to edit videos and am aiming to make one per month for the blog.
15. I hated the gap between my front teeth so much for so long I still have trouble smiling in photos. It was not until I spent time in France that I really understood to appreciate quirks as beautiful.
16. Although I thought about boys a lot growing up, I was a late bloomer and then spent years making up for it. Now though I am properly in love for the first time, and understand why all of the upsetting experiences in the past lead me to this place.
17. I studied an Arts Degree with drama and screen as my majors, so I have an extensive knowledge of theatre and film history which never comes in handy.
18. Growing up I couldn’t tie shoes so well so always got someone else to do it for me. I know there’s a bunny and a hole. I’m still hit and miss at it.
19. I have scoliosis and have shrunk a lot over the past few years. Strengthening my back is my fitness motivator. (My efforts are paying off too, which I am stoked about!)
20. I love when people ask me about where to find a new outfit or how to wear something. I am really excited to be part of Restyle for 2014 and am looking forward to finding great opshop pieces to inspire you!